Sensory Kit - 2+ Years
Our Sensory Kits allow children to use and also develop their senses. Through the provision of activities that require the use of the senses, children can explore, examine, discover, categorise, interpret and make sense of their world. The products and materials in this sensory kit have been carefully curated to be safe, high quality and developmentally appropriate. The items within the kit must be used with an adult during the sensory experience at all times.
- The high quality Halilit Handy Bells and Egg Shaker (Deluxe also includes a Halilit Castanet) can be easily manoeuvred by little hands and stimulates a range of the senses (visual, auditory and kinaesthetic). Encourage children to move to music whilst playing with these or make up their own music and dance.
- Scarves are a wonderful addition to this sensory kit. Toss a scarf in the air and it develops ocular tracking as a child watches it float to the ground. It also floats at a speed that encourages children to reach out and catch the scarf safely. Scarves are wonderful for movement to music such as dancing.
- Blowing bubbles for a child is also a wonderful sensory experience. Children are able to track the slow moving bubbles as they float, bubbles also encourage young children to reach, grasp, move or run around and pop the bubbles using their hands and feet. The bubble mixture should only be used by the adult. You can hold the bubble wand in front of a child and encourage them to blow but never allow the child to have the bubble wand or container. Learning to blow bubbles is very important when learning to swim.
- Rainbow ribbon rings provide wonderful stimulation for a young child as they can reach for them, you can tickle the satin ribbon on their skin. You can also dance with these, encourage children to copy your movements or make up their own. Encourage children to point out and name different colours allowing them to develop their vocabulary.
- The jointed wooden worms are wonderful for developing children's dexterity, fine motor skills, co-ordination and imagination.
- Fleece balls (available in the deluxe kit) are wonderful to encourage children to move, chase, retrieve, throw and catch. They are much safer to catch than most balls. Begin by gently tossing these magnificent balls to your child about waist height and encourage them to have their hand in a ready position making a basket with their fingers spread.
- Match up cards (available in the deluxe kit) allow children to match colours and shapes improving their cognitive ability and vocabulary. See the Educational Play section for our full range of literacy and numeracy resources and toys.
Sensory play should be part of daily life for every child. Sensory play is incredibly important to a child’s development. Sensory integration is the process by which children receive information via their senses and organise and interpret this information, which comes to the brain from the senses in order to make sense of the world around them. Playing with our Sensory Adventure resources and kits is relaxing, calming, soothing and completely open-ended, there is no correct way to play with these resources and kits. Refer to our sensory kits to see our full range.
Age 2+ years